Welcome to the DofE! By doing your DofE, you’re in for an amazing adventure and masses of fun as you take part in a range of activities, all leading to the achievement of an Award that’s recognised by universities and employers alike.
What is DofE?
Southampton City Explorers offers all three Duke of Edinburgh’s Awards: Bronze (Year 14+), Silver (Year 15+) and Gold (Year 16+).
With assistance from adult Leaders, you will select and set objectives in each of the following areas:
- Volunteering: Undertaking service to individuals or the community. (Such as becoming a young leader)
- Physical: Improving in an area of sport, dance or fitness activities.
- Skills: Developing practical and social skills and personal interests.
- Expedition: planning, training for and completion of an adventurous journey in the UK or abroad.
- DofE preparation evenings take place on the 3rd meeting of every month and covers the following topics:
- Induction: Finding out all about DofE
- Choosing ideas for Physical, Volunteering, and Skills. (Ideas here)
- Expedition Training
- Module A: Team Building
- Module B: Campcraft, Equipment and Hygiene
- Module C: Stoves and Cooking
- Module D: Navigation & Route Planning
- Module E: First Aid, Emergencies and Risks.
- Module F: Weather and Countryside Code
- Module G: Projects and Assessment.
- If you choose to volunteer as a young leader within Scouting, you should also regularly attend the young leader training sessions which are held on the 2nd Thursday of every month at 1st Aldermoor Scout HQ.
For your Expedition, you will need to plan, train for and complete an unaccompanied, self-reliant expedition with an agreed aim. You must do the correct training for your level and mode of travel, at least one practice expedition, a qualifying expedition (the one that is assessed) and a final presentation in order to complete the section.
Expeditions will take place during the following weekends
- April 28/29 – Expedition Practice
- July 21/22 – Expedition Practice/Assessment
- September 22/23 -Expedition Practice/Assessment
- October -13/14 – Expedition Assessment
How do I get started? (Registration)
When you start doing your DofE, you need to pay a £20 fee to your leader for your Welcome Pack, which includes your eDofE account (or ‘participation place’) and the certificate and badge when you achieve your Award.
You can register in two different ways:
- Register online using PayPal or credit card OR
- Download and complete a paper registration form,. Print and send to the address on the form with a cheque payable to HCSC
When completing the online forms you will need the following information:
- District: Southampton City
- Unit: Apollo
- DofE Leader: Luke Hall
- Download forms, record cards, and activity log sheets
- DofE Opportunity Finder
- eDofE Login
- DofE Website
- Our DofE programme resources (for leaders of other schools/groups)